The Peoria, Decatur & Evansville Railway

 Name:  Summit or Wilcox (Station), Indiana(elevation 532')
 Mile Post:  239.1
 Previous Station:  Armstrong
 Next Station:  Meyers
 Description:  Wilcox is near the top of a hill that is the toughest to climb on this part of the line.  The IC often used helper engines here.  In 1940, it often took an hour or more to push a train over the hill.  First appearance as Summit listed in an employee time table from 1892.  First known appearance as Wilcox in 1920. 
 Photos:  Right of Way
 Date Reached:  1881 - constructed by E&P
 Track Status:  Removed in the Fall of 2011.
 RR Facilities:

 Siding - longest with clearance of 2261' 47 cars - (listed here in 1928, 1944, and 1948)

 Siding - with clearance of 1921' 43 cars - (listed here in 1957)

 Siding - with clearance of 1923' 38 cars - (listed here in 1970 and 1978)

 Spur - (listed here in 1928)

 Telephone Booth - (listed here in 1957 and 1970)

 The highway bridge at 239.2 over the railroad was an old turntable (64'6") - perhaps from Franklin Street? - built 1915 - (listed here in 1944, 1948, 1957, and 1978)

 Customers:  
 Last Updated:  03/21/2016

 

Back to the Stations page