The Peoria, Decatur & Evansville Railway

 Name:  West Salem, Illinois(elevation 504') - Telegraph: SY
 Mile Post:  194.9
 Previous Station:  Brick Track
 Next Station:  Bone Gap
 Description:  After having been stopped to the north at Parkersburg for four years, the tracks finally reached West Salem in 1881.  Therefore West Salem had the distinction of being the first town reached by the laying of rails by the PD&E.  It's PD&E depot was still looking awfully sharp well into the 20th century.
 Photos:  Right of Way  Structures
 Date Reached:  1881
 Track Status:  Removed.
 RR Facilities:

 Coal House (12' x 9' x 7') - built 1894 - rebuilt 1899 - (listed here in 1916)

 Wood Depot (48' x 20' x 18') - built 1880 - (listed here in 1928, 1944, 1948, 1957, 1970, 1978, and 1987)

 Two Livestock Pens (70' x 43') overall - (listed here in 1900)

 Two Livestock Pens (42' x 36') each - (listed here in 1916)

 Livestock Pen - (listed here in 1928) 

 Platform - (listed here in 1928) 

 Section Tool House (16' x 10') - built 1915 - (listed here in 1916)

 Two Sidings - longest with clearance of 2523' 53 cars - (listed here in 1928 and 1944)

 Siding - (listed here in 1957, 1970, 1978, and 1987)

 Tool House - (listed here in 1928, 1944, 1948, and 1957)

 Customers:  Grain Elevator
 Track Names:

 House Track - mentioned here in 1955

 Last Updated:  08/31/2014

 

Back to the Stations page