The Peoria, Decatur & Evansville Railway

 Name:  West Liberty, Illinois(elevation 483') - Telegraph: W
 Mile Post:  IC 170.5, DOOR 77.0
 Previous Station:  Beck's   Alliance
 Next Station:  Dundas
 Description:  At one time, West Liberty was about three-fourth's of a mile northeast.  It was moved to be on the G&M.  The DOOR had to cross the G&M (later PD&E) in West Liberty and paralleled the PD&E to Olney on the west side, contrary to some maps that you see.  This was apparently accomplished by connecting to the latter's main, and then immediately branching off of it instead of crossing it with a diamond.  The DOOR's main extended to the north edge of town where it served a flour mill. After the PD&E takeover, the DOOR's duplicate line to Olney was taken up. 
 Photos:  Accident Report   Right of Way   Structures   Trains
 Date Reached:  G&M - September, 1876  DOOR -  by January 1881.
 Track Status:

 PD&E: Removed.

 DOOR: To the Northeast, removed 1919.

 DOOR: Removed south to Olney, by October, 25th 1893.

 RR Facilities:

 Coal Shed - (shown here in 1918)
 Two Story Wood Coal Chute (30's x 20') - 6 pockets - taken down 1907 - (listed here in 1900)

 Coaling Station - (supposedly torn down, shown here in 1918)

 Depot(1st) - PD&E - until the PD&E takeover 

 Depot(1st) - DOOR - until the PD&E takeover

 CH&D Depot - (listed here in 1916) - same as DOOR first depot?

 Depot (115' x 30') - 1915 and after - same as PD&E first depot?

 Depot - probably the old DOOR depot - (shown here in 1918)

 Less Than Carload Depot - (listed here in 1957)

 Fuel and Watering Facility

 Hand Car House (14' x 8'6" x 7') - half car body placed 1894 - (replaced 1912)

 Hand Car House (18' x 8' x 8') - half car body placed 1912 - (listed here in 1916) - IC -

 DOOR JCT

 CI&W Livestock Pens - (shown here in 1918)
 IC Livestock Pens - (shown here in 1918)

 Livestock Pen - (listed here in 1928)

 Old DOOR Main - still in place approximately 225 south of Main Street to serve Stock Pens - branched off PD&E main at north end of town - (shown here in 1918)

 Siding - approximately 1,100 - (shown here in 1918)

 Siding - with clearance of 1910' 39 cars - (listed here in 1928, 1944, and 1948)

 Spur - for coaling station - note that the coal chute was torn down in 1907 - (shown here in 1918)

 Spur - for and including the Old DOOR Main - (shown here in 1918)

 Spur - for livestock pen and unloading platform - (listed here in 1928)

 Spur - for Kurtz and Negley - east side, southbound pickup - (listed here in 1970, 1978, and 1987)

 Store Room - (shown here in 1918)

 Tool House - (listed here in 1928, 1944, 1948, and 1957)

 Unloading Platform - (listed here in 1928)

 Customers:

 J. Hitch Elevator - (shown here in 1918)
 Flour Mill - (shown here, but not served, in 1918)

 Kurtz and Negley - (shown here in 1970, 1978, and 1987)

 West Liberty Grain Company

 Track Names:

 House Track - merged into the siding on 8-25-1955

 Last Updated:  02/24/2017

 

Back to the Stations page