The Peoria, Decatur & Evansville Railway

 Name:  The Shops or Shops (Shops)(Mattoon), Illinois(elevation 721')
 Mile Post:  118.5
 Previous Station:  Lipsey Switch
 Next Station:  Mattoon
 Description:  As one might guess, the main shops for the PD&E were located here.  These were built in Mattoon by July 1878.  There was a fourteen stall roundhouse, machine shop, boiler shop, blacksmith's shop, reclaim shop, woodworking shop, a car repair shed among others.  The PD&E wreck train was stationed here in 1898.  Around 1900, the shops employed between five and six hundred men.  On Friday, November 4th, 1938, a strong wind blew the roof off the roundhouse.  The first major layoffs came in 1952 due to the diesel engine.  In 1966 the last of the shop buildings were bulldozed down.  While parts of the shop complex did at times cross 26th Street, anything east of that road is included in the Mattoon page.  The PD&E crossed the CCC&StL's line to St. Louis just west of here at Karl Tower.  
 Photos:  Motive Power  Maps  The Shops Area 
 Date Reached:  1872
 Track Status:  Still in place - .
 RR Facilities:

 Air Compressor Room - (Interior Space: 16' x 12') - part of a larger building complex

 Boiler Room - (Interior Space: 33'6" x 33'6") - part of a larger building complex

 Bolt and Lumber Shed -  - (listed here in 1916)

 Blacksmith's Shop (Interior Space: 67'6" x 34') - part of a larger building complex

 Canvas Room - (listed here in 1944)

 Car Repair House (32' x 12') - built 1909 - (listed here in 1916)

 Chemical House (for water) - with tool house - (listed here in 1944)

 Cinder Conveyer - (listed here in 1944)

 Coal Bin

 "Coaler" - (listed here in 1944)

 Engine Room (Interior Space: 33'6" x 16') - part of a larger building complex

 General Foreman Office - (listed here in 1944)

 Electric Interlocking - (listed here in 1957, 1970, and 1978)

 "Fancy" Style Interlocking Tower (Karl) (16' x 15'4" x 24' ) - just to the west - (listed here in 1944 & 1948 - built 1893 - 17 levers 3 blanks in 1915 - 18 working levers in 1944 and 1948)

 Electric Interlocking - (listed here in 1957)

 CCC&StL JCT - gone by 1982/3

 Locomotive Crane - (listed here in 1944 and 1948)

 Lumber Shed (78' x 18') - built 1898 - (listed here in 1916)

 Machine Shop (Interior Space: 67'6" x 113') - part of a larger building complex

 Paint Shop

 Reclaim Shop

 Brick Roundhouse - (60' x 180' (front) 340' (back) ) 14 stalls - built 1880 - (listed here in 1916)

 Brick Roundhouse - (100' stalls, 85' steel turntable) - 14 stalls - built 1917 - (listed here in 1944 and 1948)

 Brick Roundhouse - (100' stalls, 85' steel turntable) - up to 21 stalls - with attached grease room

 Round House Office (14' x 10') - built 1880? - (listed here in 1915)

 Round House Office - with wash room - (listed here in 1944)

 Sand House - (listed here in 1944)

 Shop Wash Room - with offices - (listed here in 1944)

 Siding - (listed here in 1970 and 1978)

 Spur - for United Graphics - (listed here in 1970, 1978, and 1987)

 Store Room (112' x 26') - built 1880 - contained offices and had a partial basement

 "Tank" - no data - (listed here in 1970 and 1978)

 Four Track Umbrella Shed

 Wash Rack - (listed here in 1944)

 Water Column - (listed here in 1944 and 1948)

 Water Lab - (listed here in 1944)

 Wood Water Tank - (30' x 20' tub) - built 1918 - 100,000 gallon capacity - City supplied water - (listed here in 1944 and 1948)

 Wheel Rack

 Wheel & Boiler Shop - (Interior Space: 98'6" x 66') - part of a larger building complex

 Woodworking Shop (Wood Mill) (Interior Space: 98'6" x 67'6") - part of a larger building complex

 Customers:  United Graphics - Shown here in 1970, 1978, and 1987
 Last Updated:  08/17/2014

 

Back to the Stations page