The Peoria, Decatur & Evansville Railway

 Name:  Steel, Illinois(elevation 655')
 Mile Post:  111.9
 Previous Station:  Allenville
 Next Station:  Coles
 Description:  There was known to be a school house in this area with a slightly different spelling of the name.  Whether or not it was located here is still undiscovered.  What is known is that on February 5th, 1872, two pieces of land, one on each side of what in 2012 is known as 1675 Road E, and on the south side of the railroad were acquired for $1 each.  On the west side of the road, the parcel of land was acquired by the DM&S from David Myers for a "station house."  On the east side, it was acquired from Clarissa Barber for what is described as "depot grounds."  Was there a competition for where the depot was to be located?  Or was one for the actual structure, and another for a siding/spur?  And was either ever built?  Steel does appear in employee timetables from 1880 and 1881, but not from the next known timetable in 1891.
 Photos:  Right of Way
 Date Reached:  1872
 Track Status:  Still in place - .
 RR Facilities:


 Last Updated:  01/15/2012


Back to the Stations page