The Peoria, Decatur & Evansville Railway

 Name:  Olney, Illinois(elevation 471') - Telegraph: JR, D (B&OSW Tower), X (On PD&E)
 Mile Post:  IC 178.9, DOOR 85.2
 Previous Station:  CH&D Jct
 Next Station:  Quarry
 Description:  Olney was important as it was the terminus of the Olney to Sidell segment.  After the PD&E took over the line in 1893, it pulled up the parallel DOOR line from West Liberty  to Olney that ran just to the west of it.  However the section of line in Olney was kept in place, and was sold off with the rest of the DOOR property in 1898.  As of 2002, Olney still had it's PD&E depot, though it was in terrible shape - see the structures page.  Apparently there was an effort to save it.  However, a 2006 visit found no remains of the depot.  Olney seems to have always been a major freight shipment point.  The tower here was connected to the "message line" in 1948, four long rings being its "number".
 Photos:  Right of Way   Structures  Trains 
 Date Reached:  G&M: September, 1876  DOOR: by August 23rd, 1882.
 Track Status:

 PD&E: Part of the line on the south side of Olney is still in place to serve a customer on the south side.

 DOOR: Removed to the North, by October, 25th 1893, with some in Olney remaining.

 DOOR: Removed to the South in April and May of 1919.

 RR Facilities:

 Auto Platform (Ramp) (28' x 10') - (listed here in 1916!)

 Car Inspector's Building - (listed here in 1957, 1970, 1978, and 1987)

 Car Repairer's Shanty (20' x 12' x 8') - PD&E - built prior to 1900 - abandoned about 1906

 Car Repairer's Store House (35'6"' x 9') - IC - 4 old box cars nailed together - (listed here in 1916)

 Coal Shute (50-ton) - IC - (listed here in 1944 and 1948) - mentioned here in 1949

 Depot(1st) - DOOR

 Depot(2nd (150' x 48') - DOOR - by 1886

 Wood Depot (68' x 24') - built 1880 - PD&E - (lasted until about 2002)

 Two Stall Engine House (75' x 30') - DOOR

 Two Stall Engine House and Shop (60' x 60') - built 1894 - PD&E - (listed here in 1916, but not in 1928)

 Freight Checker's Office (35' x 28') - 40 year old house - IC - (listed here in 1916)

 Automatic Interlocking - (listed here in 1970, 1978, and 1987)

 Interlocking Tower (15' x 21') - 26 working levers (1928) - 27 working levers (1944 and 1948) - 11 working levers (1957)

 B&O JCT

 DOOR JCT

 Livestock Pens (150' x 70' ) - (Cattle) - DOOR

 Two Livestock Pens - IC - (listed here in 1928)

 Livestock Pen - IC - (listed here in 1928 and 1948)

 Piggyback Ramp - IC - (listed here in 1970, 1978, and 1987)

 Sand House (14' x 11' x 8') - PD&E - built prior to 1900 -wood frame with iron roof, abandoned about 1906

 Sand House - (mentioned here in 1948)

 Scale Pit  - 36' long, 2' wide stone foundation, unknown width - (foundation of which was discovered in 1916)

 Section Supply House (28' x 8'6" x 7' ) - built from a car body - PD&E - (placed here in 1894 and replaced in 1914 with one of the same size) - (listed here in 1916)

 Sidings

 Five Sidings - longest with clearances of 2725' and 1373' (1928, 1944, 1948) - 2385' 47 cars and 1373' (1957) - 2998' 39 cars and 1373' (1970)

 Five Sidings - no data - (listed here in 1978)

 Four Sidings - no data - (listed here in 1987)

 Signal Maintainer's Building - (listed here in 1957, 1970, 1978, and 1987)

 Five Spurs - (listed here in 1928)

 Seven Spurs - (listed here in 1944 and 1948)

 Five Spurs - (listed here in 1957)

 Five Spurs - including one for AM&F Co - (listed here in 1970 and 1978)

 Four Spurs - including one for Roadmaster Corp - (listed here in 1987)

 Telephone Booth - (listed here in 1957 and 1970)

 Two Tool Houses (14' x 8'6" x 7') - half car bodies - PD&E - listed at Hand Car Houses - placed here in 1894 - removed 1914

 Two Tool Houses (14' x 8'6" x 7') - half car bodies - PD&E - listed as Hand Car Houses - placed here in 1914 replacing the ones from 1894 - (listed here in 1916)

 Tool House - IC - (listed here in 1928, 1944, 1948, 1957, 1970, 1978, and 1987)

 80-ton Track Scale - (listed here in 1916)

 Watch House (8' x 6') - (listed here in 1916)

 Water Column - IC - (listed here in 1944 and 1948)

 Water Hydrant - hose in Trainman's Room - (installed here on 2-24-1956)

 Wood Water Tank (14' x 12' tub on 12' frame) - 12,012 gallon capacity - built 1896

 Steel Water Tank - 100,000 gallon capacity - built 1900 (typo?) - city supplied water source - (listed here in 1928)

 Steel Water Tank (25' x 29' tub) - 100,000 gallon capacity - built 1915 - city supplied water source - (listed here in 1944)

 Steel Water Tank (25' x 28'8"' tub) - 100,000 gallon capacity - built 1915 - city supplied water source - ( listed here in 1948)

 Wye - DOOR

 Small Yard - IC 

 Yard Limits - (listed here in 1953 & 1987)

 Customers:

 AM&F Co - later Roadmaster Corp - Just south of town - Shown here in 1987

 Butler Street Mill - DOOR

 Cannery - DOOR

 CIPS Co - IC - Just north of town

 Consolidated Grain & Barge - grain Elevator - IC

 Elevator - DOOR

 Ice Plant - DOOR

 Mill

 Tile and Brick Works(1862-1910) - DOOR

 Whiskey Bottle Plant - DOOR, until 1887

 Track Names:

 Light Plant Spur - mentioned here in 1953

 Vinegar Track - listed here in 1944 and retired January 5th, 1955

 Last Updated:  08/31/2014

 

Back to the Stations page