The Peoria, Decatur & Evansville Railway

 Name:  Newton, Illinois(elevation 510') - Telegraph: NE
 Mile Post:  160.1
 Previous Station:  Falmouth
 Next Station:  Boos Station
 Description:  Newton was founded in 1828, platted in 1835, and incorporated in 1865.  It was an important trading center until the East-West railroad went through Olney and shifted commerce there.  That is what prompted the segment of the G&M between here and Olney to be built first.  Newton is also where the PD&E crossed the line that would become the IC's line to Indianapolis; "The High-Dry".  It also had to cross the Embarrass River at this location yet again.  If one projects the line North-West from the city at the same angle that it enters it from the South-East, the line would have been a natural to follow on the West side of the Embarrass up to Toledo, never having to had to cross it once, let alone twice.  One wonders if this was the original plan.  The PD&E depot was on the Northwest corner of the diamond.
 Photos:  Right of Way  Structures
 Date Reached:  September 28th, 1876 - from the south.
 Track Status:  There is a segment from the connection on the IC south through town for about a mile or two.  The part from the "High-Dry" North was closed on August 1st, 1982 and removed in later that year.
 RR Facilities:

 Car Repairer's House (14' x 8'6" x 7') - former half car body - placed here 1902 - (listed here in 1916)

 Chemical house - (mentioned here in 1954 and in which the water hydrant hose was located)

 Wood Coal Chute (80' x 21' x 13') 62-ton, 12 pocket - built 1906 - (listed here in 1916)

 Coal Chute Incline - built 1906, rebuilt 1916 - (listed here in 1916)

 Coal Heaver's Shanty (12' x 10') - built 1908 - (listed here in 1916)

 Coal House (12' x 10' x 8') - built 1898 - (listed here in 1916)

 Crossing Watch Shanty (8' x 6') - (listed here in 1916)

 Wood Depot (70' x 20' x 14') - built 1898 - (still here in 1970)

 Enginemen's Shanty (35' x 8'6" x 8) - former car body - (listed here in 1916)

 Hand Car House  (14' x 8'6" x 7') - half car body - placed here 1900 - removed 1915

 Hand Car House  (34' x 8'6") - former car body - placed here 1915 - (listed here in 1916)

 IC Effingham District JCT

 Lineman's Tool House (15'4" x 8'10" x 7') - half car body - (listed here in 1916)

 Livestock Pens - (shown here circa 1900)

 Two Livestock Pens (69' x 42') overall - built circa 1906 - (listed here in 1916)

 Loading Platform - (listed here in 1944, 1948, 1957, 1970, 1978, and 1987)

 Motor Car House (34' x 8') - former car body - (listed here in 1916)

 Sand House (14' x 8'6" x 7') - half car body - placed here 1902 - (listed here in 1916)

 Section Tool House (35' x 8'6" x 8) - former car body - (listed here in 1916)

 Siding - (shown here circa 1900)

 Four Sidings - longest with clearance of 3837' 81 cars - (listed here in 1948 and 1957)

 Four Sidings - longest with clearance of 3539' 70 cars - (listed here in 1970)

 Four Sidings - no data - (listed here in 1978)

 Two Sidings - no data - (listed here in 1987)

 Spur - (shown here circa 1900, 1944, 1948, 1957, and 1978)

 Switchback - (listed here in 1957, 1970, and 1978)

 Supervisor's Office (35' x 8') - former car body - placed here 1909 - (listed here in 1916)

 Telegraph Supply House (15' x 8'6" x 7'6") - half car body - placed here 1900 - (listed here in 1916)

 Telephone Booth - (listed here in 1957 and 1970)

 Tool House - (listed here in 1944, 1957, and 1970)

 Tool and Maintainer's House - (listed here in 1944, 1948, 1957, 1970, and 1978)

 Turntable - (briefly)

 Murdock Water Hydrant - located at the still existent Water Tank and connected to city water - mentioned here in 1954

 Wood Water Tank (24' x 16' tub on 14' frame) - 49,000 gallon capacity - built 1901 - listed here in 1916, 1944, 1948, and 1957)

 Wye - (shown here circa 1900 and as late as 1978)

 Yard Limits - (listed here in 1957, 1970, 1978, and 1987)

 Customers:

 Elevator - shown here circa 1900

 Newton Ice and Cold Storage - track removed 4-20-1954

 Track Names:

 Back Track - converted from a siding to a spur 3-13-1951

 Engine Track - mentioned here in 1954

 North Wye - mentioned here in 1954

 Pocket Track - mentioned 1952 and discontinued 2-26-1953 and merged into the siding

 Storage Track - mentioned here in 1949

 Last Updated:  08/31/2014

 

Back to the Stations page