The Peoria, Decatur & Evansville Railway

 Name:  Funkhouser's, Montgomery, or Newby, Illinois(elevation 748')
 Mile Post:  123.7
 Previous Station:  Jones'
 Next Station:  Lerna
 Description:  This agricultural station was located about 4.7 miles South-East of Mattoon.  1880 and 1881 employee timetables list it as Funkhouser's. By 1891 it was known as Montgomery.  Sometime between 1903 and 1916, it became Newby.  It had a depot made from a car body, that was placed at Meyers in 1896, and moved here in 1904.  Today most people don't even know that it existed.  All that is left is some vacant land, a small cemetery, and a farm.
 Photos:  Right of Way  
 Date Reached:  1877
 Track Status:  Removed in 2002.  There is track still in place just to the North-West.
 RR Facilities:

 Wood Depot (34' x 8'6" x 7') - former car body - moved here 1904 - (listed here in 1916)

 Livestock Pen (40' x 25') - (listed here in 1900)

 Livestock Pen (40' x 28') - (listed here in 1900)

 Livestock Pen (40' x 30') - (listed here in 1900)

 Three Livestock Pens (32' x 24') each - (listed here in 1916)

 Spur (400') - (listed here in 1928)

 Customers:  
 Last Updated:  03/16/2014

 

Back to the Stations page