The Peoria, Decatur & Evansville Railway

 Name:  Mt. Zion, Illinois(elevation 676') - Telegraph: MO
 Mile Post:  85.2
 Previous Station:  Turpin
 Next Station:  Hervey City
 Description:  Originally a stopping point on the Paris to Springfield Road, the post office name was changed to Mt. Zion in 1866, from which the town took its name.  Like Turpin, Suffern, and Hervey City, Mt. Zion was served by the P&D also.  In 1955, Mt. Zion's waybills were being handle by Hervey City.
 Photos:  Right of Way
 Date Reached:  By December 12, 1872
 Track Status:  Still in place - .
 RR Facilities:

 Coal House (8' x 8' x 8') - (listed here in 1916)

 Joint Wood Depot (40' x 18' x 14') - built in 1878 - (listed here in 1916 and 1957 but not in 1944 or 1948)

 Joint Hand Car House (14' x 8' x 7') - placed here in 1895 - half car body - (replaced 1915)

 Joint Hand Car House (14' x 8' x 7') - placed here in 1915 - half car body - (listed here in 1916)

 Joint Two Livestock Pens (64' x 32') each - rebuilt/replaced in 1915 - (listed here in 1900)

 Siding - (listed here in 1944, 1948, 1957, 1970, 1978, and 1987)

 Spur - (listed here in 1944, 1948, 1957, and 1970)

 Telephone Booth - (listed here in 1970)

 Tool House - (listed here in 1944 and 1957)

 Customers:  
 Last Updated:  08/31/2014

 

Back to the Stations page