The Peoria, Decatur & Evansville Railway

 Name:  Mt. Pulaski, Illinois(elevation 635') - Telegraph: MI
 Mile Post:  55.4
 Previous Station:  Chestervale
 Next Station:  Narita
 Description:  Founded in 1836 and named after Casimir Pulaski of Revolutionary War fame.  IC's Chicago to St. Louis line crossed here.  In October 2002, the CN/IC tore down the depot here, even though there were people interested in saving it.  Note the depot was on IC's Gilman to St. Louis line, not the PD&E.
 Photos:  Right of Way  Structures
 Date Reached:  By August, 1871
 Track Status:  Still in place - .
 RR Facilities:

 Salt Creek Coal Bin (44' x 12' x 5') - built 1902 - located near Salt Creek at MP 51.7 - (listed here in 1916)

 Coal Chute - (listed here in 1944, 1948, and 1957!!!)

 Wood Depot (48' x 20' x 14') - built 1870 - used until 1900, in 1904 it had no roof.

 Wood Depot on Springfield District - housed 3 lever interlocking (listed here in 1948, 1957, 1970, 1978, and 1987)

 Wood Freight Depot (35' x 8'9") - placed in 1907 - former car body - (listed here in 1916)

 Hand Car Houses (14' x 8') - placed 1893 - former car body - replaced 1915

 Hand Car Houses (14' x 8') - placed 1893 - former car body - (listed here in 1916)

 Hand Car House (16' x 9'6") - built 1915

 Interlocking Tower - 16 working levers - built 1901 - (listed here in 1916 and 1944)

 IC Springfield District JCT

 Salt Creek Pump House (20' x 18') - built 1902 - located near Salt Creek at MP 51.7 - (listed here in 1916)

 Three Sidings - longest with clearance of 2104' - (listed here in 1944)

 Three Sidings - longest with clearances of 2104' and 85 cars - (listed here in 1948)

 Four Sidings - longest with clearances of 3357' 75 cars and 3679' 81 cars - (listed here in 1957)

 Four Sidings - longest with clearances of 4705' 94 cars and 3629' 72 cars - (listed here in 1970)

 Four Sidings - no data - (listed here in 1978 and 1987)

 Three Spurs - one for Coal Chute - (listed here in 1944, 1948, and 1957)

 One Spur - north of town for Monsanto Chemical - (listed here in 1970 and 1978)
 One Spur - in town for Swift? - (listed here in 1970 and 1978)

 One Spur - starting at the south edge of town and extending for a mile south - (listed here in 1970 and 1978)

 Two Spurs - over a mile south of town, one for each Sinclair Petroleum and Mt. Pulaski Products - (listed here in 1970 and 1978)

 Four Spurs - one north of town, one in town (listed as A. Wiggers), two south of town - (listed here in 1987)

 Telephone Booth - (listed here in 1957)

 Four Telephone Booths - (listed here in 1970)

 Telephone Booth - located south of Salt Creek near MP 51.8 - (listed here in 1970)

 Telephone Booth - (listed here in 1978)

 Tool House - (listed here in 1944, 1948, 1957, 1970, and 1978)

 Watch House - temporary - MP 52.5 - (listed here in 1916)

 Water Column - (listed here in 1944)

 Two Water Columns - (listed here in 1948)

 Water Tank (19' x 14' tub on 12' frame) - built 1891

 Water Tank (19' x 14' tub on 12' frame) - built 1896 - 33,270 gallon capacity - (listed here in 1916)

 Steel Water Tank (25' x 28'9" tub - built 1917 - 100,000 gallon capacity - electric pump - supply Salt Creek - (listed here in 1944 and 1948)

 Yard Limits - (listed here in 1944, 1948, 1957, 1970, 1978, and 1987)

 Customers:

 A. Wiggers? - Shown here in 1987

 Monsanto Chemical - North of town - Shown here in 1978 and 1987

 Mt. Pulaski Products - later Ralph and Wanda Laveall - South of town - the latter shown here in 1978 and 1987

 Sinclair Petro - South of town - Shown here in 1978 and 1987

 Swift? - later A. Wiggins? - Shown here in 1970 and 1978

 Last Updated  08/31/2014

 

Back to the Stations page