The Peoria, Decatur & Evansville Railway

 Name:  Lerna, Illinois(elevation 754') - Telegraph: AZ
 Mile Post:  125.6
 Previous Station:  Newby
 Next Station:  Janesville
 Description:  Lerna was were the PD&E crossed the Clover Leaf.  In 1955, there was a pit underneath a track here for unloading sand and gravel for road construction.
 Photos:  Right of Way
 Date Reached:  1877
 Track Status:  The part North-West was removed in 2002.  The part South-East was closed on August 1st, 1982 and removed in later that year.
 RR Facilities:

 Coal House (12' x 9' x 8') - built 1894 - (listed here in 1916)

 "Fancy" Style Wood Depot (40' x 18' x 14') - built 1891 - (listed here in 1944, 1948, 1957, and 1970)

 Hand Car House (14' x 12' x 8') - built 1894 - (listed here in 1916)

 Automatic Interlocking - (listed here in 1978)

 NKP JCT

 Livestock Pen (46' x 46') - (listed here in 1900)

 Livestock Pen (32' x 24') - (listed here in 1916)

 Supply House (35' x 9') - former car body - (listed here in 1916)

 Two Sidings - longest with clearance of 2068' 43cars - (listed here in 1944 and 1948)

 Two Sidings - longest with clearance of 5450' 121 cars - (listed here in 1957)

 Two Sidings - longest with clearance of 5350' 107 cars - (listed here in 1970)

 Two Sidings - no data - (listed here in 1978)

 Telephone Booth - at the north end of the siding - (listed here in 1970)

 Tool House - (listed here in 1944, 1948, and 1957) (Same as the Hand Car House?)

 Yard Limits - (listed here in 1957)

 Customers:  
 Last Updated:  08/31/2014

 

Back to the Stations page