The Peoria, Decatur & Evansville Railway

 Name:  Latham, Illinois(elevation 617') - Telegraph: BY
 Mile Post:  62.4
 Previous Station:  Narita
 Next Station:  Heman
 Description:  Named after Colonel Robert B. Latham, first President of the Peoria, Lincoln and Decatur.  The depot of Latham has been saved by the town's people.
 Photos:  Right of Way  Structures
 Date Reached:  By October 9th, 1871
 Track Status:  Still in place - .
 RR Facilities:

 "Fancy" Style Wood Depot (41' x 18') - built 1890 - still extant

 Coal House (10' x 6'4") - built prior to 1903 - (listed here in 1916)

 Coal House - (listed here in 1957 and 1970, but not in 1944)

 Hand Car House (14'6" x 8') - built 1893 - (listed here in 1916)

 Hand Car House (35' x 8'8") - built 1893 - (listed here in 1916)

 Three Livestock Pens (87' x 81') overall - (listed here in 1916)

 Three Sidings - longest with clearance of 2910' 62 cars - (listed here in 1944 and 1948)

 Two Sidings - (listed here in 1957, 1970, 1978, and 1987)

 Spur - (listed here in 1944, 1948, and 1957)

 Two Spurs - one about a mile north of town for Illinois Power Company and one for Trowbridge Farm Supply south of town - (listed here in 1970, 1978, and 1987)

 Tool House - (listed her in 1948)

 Water Tank - prior to 1891 when a water tank was built in Mt. Pulaski

 Customers:

 Herrin Limited - fertilizer company

 Illinois Power Company - about a mile north (west) of town - Shown here in 1970, 1978, and 1987

 PC Ltd - fertilizer company

 Trowbridge Farm Supply - about a half mile south of town - Shown here in 1970, 1978, and 1987

 Last Updated  03/31/2014

 

Back to the Stations page