The Peoria, Decatur & Evansville Railway

 Name:  Janesville, Illinois(elevation 695') - Telegraph: JS
 Mile Post:  129.6
 Previous Station:  Lerna
 Next Station:  Bradbury
 Description:  Janesville was named after Jane Furry, who was the wife of Peter Furry.  Just North of Janesville is where the tracks changed from going North-East/South-West to North and South.  This continues until Toledo, some 17 miles further South.  Janesville is the last town to lie on the last glaciers' deposits of soil.  Therefore there was a significant hill south of town.  In 1900, the depot was located east of the tracks just north of the main east/west road in Janesville.  A May of 1939 aerial view shows a structure located here with what appears to be a platform area.  The 1944 track profile shows no depot located here.  Suggesting it was either removed when the last passenger trains left in 1939 or during the early part of WWII.
 Photos:  Maps  Right of Way  Structures
 Date Reached:  1877
 Track Status:  Closed on August 1st, 1982 and removed in later that year.
 RR Facilities:

 Coal House (10' x 8' x 8') - built 1901 - (listed here in 1916)

 Wood Depot (36' x 18' x 14') - built in 1880 - (listed here in 1916 but not listed in 1944)

 Hand Car House (18.5" x 14' x 7') - half car body - placed here 1898 - (listed here in 1916)

 Two Livestock Pens (40' x 60') overall - built prior to 1900 - (listed here in 1916)

 Siding - (listed here in 1944, 1948, 1957, and 1970)

 Spur - southbound pickup - (listed here in 1978)

 Customers:  Elevator
 Last Updated:  03/31/2014

 

Back to the Stations page