The Peoria, Decatur & Evansville Railway

 Name:  Hidalgo, Illinois(elevation 581') - Telegraph: HD
 Mile Post:  148.3
 Previous Station:  Dees
 Next Station:  Rose Hill
 Description:  Hidalgo is a friendly little town about 7 miles south of Greenup.  It was started in 1878.  Around 1916 it had the typical array of railroad buildings; Stock Yard, Coal House, Hand Car House, and Depot.  Hidalgo was laid out the year after the tracks arrived.  A 1948 bulletin mentions waybills for Hidalgo being handled by the agency at Greenup.
 Photos:  Right of Way  Structures
 Date Reached:  1877
 Track Status:  Closed on August 1st, 1982 and removed in later that year.
 RR Facilities:

 Coal House (10' x 8' x 8') - built 1901 - (listed here in 1916)

 "Droopy" Style Depot (30' x 15' x 12') - built 1891 - (listed here in 1916)

 Less Than Carload depot - (listed here in 1957, 1970, and 1978)

 Hand Car House (14' x 8'6" x 7') - half car body - (placed here in 1900 and replaced 1912)

 Hand Car House (18' x 8' x 8') - half car body - (placed here in 1912 and replaced 1914)

 Hand Car House (10' x 16') - built 1914 - (listed here in 1916)

 Two Livestock Pens (32' x 32') each - built prior to 1900 - rebuilt 1914 - (listed here in 1916)

 Two Sidings - longest with clearance of 2086' 42cars - (listed here in 1944 and 1948)

 Siding - (listed here in 1957, 1970, and 1978)

 Tool House - (listed here in 1944, 1948, and 1957) (same as the Hand Car House?)

 Customers:

 Elevator - shown here in 1916

 Shipped ties

 Last Updated:  08/31/2014

 

Back to the Stations page