The Peoria, Decatur & Evansville Railway

 Name:  Hervey City, Illinois(elevation 696') - Telegraph: J
 Mile Post:  86.8
 Previous Station:  Mt. Zion
 Next Station:  Hight
 Description:  Hervey City was where the Pennsylvania Railroad's line to Peoria connected to the PD&E.  There was a two story brick combination passenger/freight depot here that was owned equally by both railroads.  To say the railroads skimped on the elegance of this peaked roof, square building would be kind.  The second floor was likely removed post 1916.  The town is likely named after Robert G. Hervey of the P&D.
 Photos:  Right of Way
 Date Reached:  1872
 Track Status:  Still in place - .
 RR Facilities:

 Joint Coal House (20' x 8'6" x 7') - placed 1898 - former car body - destroyed by fire 1908

 Joint Coal House (35' x 8'9") - placed 1908 - former car body - (listed here in 1916)

 Joint Two Story Brick Union Passenger/Freight Depot (31' x 16'4" x 24') - built in 1878

 Joint One Story Brick Union Passenger/Freight Depot - likely reconfiguration of the 1878 depot - (listed here in 1944, 1948, 1957, 1970, and 1978)

 Pennsylvania Railroad JCT

 Portable Livestock Chute - (listed here between 1909 & 1912)

 Siding - with clearance of 88 cars - (listed here in 1944 and 1948)

 Siding - with clearance of 7459' 161 cars - (listed here in 1957)

 Siding - with clearance of 7199' 143 cars - (listed here in 1970)

 Siding - no data - (listed here in 1978 and 1987)

 Telephone Booth - at south end of the siding - (listed here in 1970)

 Yard Limits - (listed here in 1987?)

 Customers:  
 Track Names:

 Passing Track - mentioned here in 1951

 Last Updated:  08/31/2014

 

Back to the Stations page