The Peoria, Decatur & Evansville Railway

 Name:  Harwood Yard or Pigeon Creek Siding (Evansville), Indiana(elevation 391') - Telegraph: CD, WD (Harwood Tower)
 Mile Post:  244.5
 Previous Station:  Vanderburg
 Next Station:  Devon St. Jct
 Description:  Before becoming Harwood Yard, this location was known as Pigeon Creek Siding.  Harwood Yard was probably constructed in 1905.  Harwood Yard was just shy of where the PD&E crossed the CCC&StL and where most trains from the North ended their run.  To the south, where the diamond use to be, the main now joins up with the former CCC&StL line instead.  While it appeared at least some of the trackage south of the former diamond was still in place in 2006, there was no way to for trains to access it.  The purpose here, Harwood Yard encompasses everything south of Locust Creek and north of Pigeon Creek.
 Photos:  Motive Power  Right of Way  Rolling Stock  Structures 
 Date Reached:  1881 - constructed by E&P
 Track Status:  Still in place - .
 RR Facilities:

 Bunk House - (shown here circa 1986)

 Car Repairer's Shanty (30' x 8'8") - former car body - (listed here in 1916)

 Automatic Interlocking - (listed here in 1970 and 1978) - mentioned as Harwood Tower in 1955

 Interlocking Tower - built 1912, S & F machine, 26 working levers (1928) - 24 working levers (1944 and 1948) - 20 working levers (1957)

 Big Four JCT

 Scales - (listed here in circa 1900)

 Scale - (listed here in 1928, 1944, 1948

 Scale - 150 ton - built 1923 and 1956 - (listed here in 1957, 1970, and 1978)

 One Siding - for scale - (listed here in 1928, 1944, 1948, and 1957)

 Three Spurs - (listed here in 1928)

 Two Spurs - (listed here in 1944, 1948, 1957, and 1978)

 Storage - two old Pullman cars

 Telephone Booth - north end of the yard - (listed here in 1928, 1944, 1948, 1957, 1970, and 1978)

 Tool House - (listed here in 1957, 1970, and 1978)

 Water Column - (listed here in 1948 and 1957)

 Nine Track Yard - (listed here in 1928)

 Ten Track Yard - (listed here in 1928, 1944, 1948, 1957, 1970, and 1978)

 Yard Office(1st?)/Telegraph Office (18' x 12') - built 1899 - (listed here in 1916)

 Yard Office(2nd?) - (listed here in 1928, 1944, 1948, 1957, 1970, and 1978)

 Customers:  
 Last Updated:  03/21/2016

 

Back to the Stations page