The Peoria, Decatur & Evansville Railway

 Name:  Greenup, Illinois(elevation 532') - Telegraph: HF, G(Greenup Tower)
 Mile Post:  142.2
 Previous Station:  Norveil
 Next Station:  Dees
 Description:  Greenup is where the PD&E crossed the line that would eventually become the Pennsylvania Railroad's line to St. Louis.  Greenup was platted in 1834 and incorporated in 1869.  Prior to 1927, the PD&E line curved sharply southeast to cross the PRR East of Railroad St.  After crossing the PRR it curved sharply back southwest.  After 1927, the PRR line was elevated over the PD&E and an easier curve to the southwest was put in.  The depot was West of Railroad St., but may have been moved to the new main line with the track realignment in 1927.  Just north of town on the Embarrass River was a coal house (coal bin), pump house and water tank.
 Photos:  Right of Way
 Date Reached:  June 23rd, 1877
 Track Status:  Closed on August 1st, 1982 and removed in later that year.
 RR Facilities:

 Coal House (10' x 12' x 8') - built 1901 - repaired from accident 1915 - (listed here in 1916)

 Coal House (Bin) (on Embarrass River) - (listed here in 1916)

 Wood Depot (40' x 20' x 14') - built 1880 - repaired from accident 1915 - (listed here in 1944, 1948, 1957, and 1970)

 Hand Car House (14' x 8'6" x 7') - half car body - placed here 1896 - (removed 1914)

 Hand Car House (16' x 10' x 8') - half car body - placed here 1914 - (listed here 1916)

 Interlocking Tower (18' x 12') - built 1896 - destroyed in a wreck.

 Vandalia Railroad JCT

 Livestock Chute (10' x 10') - placed here 1910-1912 - (listed here in 1916)

 Oil House - (listed here in 1944, 1948, 1957, 1970, and 1978)

 Pump House - built 1892

 Pump House (20' x 14' x 8') - built in 1898 (on Embarrass River) - (listed here in 1916)

 Siding - (listed here in 1970 and 1978)

 Long Spur - (listed here in 1944, 1948, and 1957)

 Spur - (listed here in 1970 and 1978)

 Tool House - Same as the Hand Car House? - (listed here in 1944, 1948, and 1957)

 Wood Water Tank (19' x 16' tub on a 14' frame) - 33000 gallon capacity - built 1898 - (on Embarrass River) - (listed here in 1916)

 Small Yard on interchange track - (listed here in 1944, 1948, and 1957)

 Customers:  Standard Oil Company - Mentioned here 07-30-1940
 Track Names:

 Connection Track - Mentioned here in 1948

 Last Updated:  03/30/2016

 

Back to the Stations page