The Peoria, Decatur & Evansville Railway

 Name:  Grayville, Illinois(elevation 397') - Telegraph: V
 Mile Post:  213.5
 Previous Station:  Grays
 Next Station:  Edgewater
 Description:  Grayville is on the bank Wabash River and the Illinois/Indiana border.  Grayville was a marquee city for both the Grayville & Mattoon Railroad and the Mt. Vernon & Grayville Railroad.  Both railroads have a historical connection with the PD&E, but only the former became part of it.  The depot has been preserved and has an Illinois Central caboose next to it.  There is not an omission for the water tank and water column below, neither was listed in 1928. 
 Photos:  Motive Power  Right of Way  Rolling Stock  Structures  Trains  
 Date Reached:  1881
 Track Status:  The track in front of the depot is still in place.  The rest was removed in 1999. 
 RR Facilities:

 Coal House (8' x 8' x 8') - burned 6-16-1911, rebuilt in 1911 - (listed here in 1911)

 Wood Depot (54' x 20') - (1880 - present day)

 Hand Car House (9'7" x 16') - temporary use as a Cement Store House - (listed here in 1916)

 Hand Car House (12' x 10' x 7') - listed as Section Tool House - built 1894 - (listed here in 1916)

 Motor Car House - (listed here in 1957)

 Big Four JCT

 Three Livestock Pens measuring (116' x 41') overall - (listed here in 1900)

 Three Livestock Pens (36' x 32') each - (listed here in 1916)

 Livestock Pens - (listed here in 1928)

 Loading Platform - (listed here in 1928, 1944, 1948, 1957, 1970, 1978, and 1987)

 Pump House (24' x 16' x 11') - built 1897 - (listed here in 1916)

 Three Sidings - (listed here in 1928, 1944, and 1948)

 Two Sidings - (listed here in 1957, 1970, 1978, and 1987)

 Four Spurs - (listed here in 1928)

 Three Spurs - (listed here in 1944, 1948, and 1957)

 Two Spurs - (listed here in 1970 and 1978)

 Steam Pump - for water - (installed 1892)

 Telephone Booth - (listed here in 1957)

 Tool House - (listed here in 1928, 1944,, 1948, and 1957)

 Water Hydrant - (installed at southwest corner of depot on 1-12-1956)

 Wood Water Tank (18 x 14 tub on 13 frame) - 34,000 gallon capacity - built 1896 - (listed here in 1916)

 Wood Water Tank (20 x 30) - 100,000 gallon capacity - built 1941 - city supplied water source - (listed here in 1944 and 1948)

 Water Column - (listed here in 1944 and 1948)

 Customers:

 Dowell?

 Elevator

 Track Names:

 House Track - mentioned here in 1955

 Elevator Track - mentioned here in 1954

 Last Updated:  03/30/2016

 

Back to the Stations page