The Peoria, Decatur & Evansville Railway

 Name:  Edgewater or Edgewater Park, Indiana(elevation 397')
 Mile Post:  215.7
 Previous Station:  Grayville
 Next Station:  Hovey
 Description:  In an effort to increase revenue, the PD&E built a second (see Mackinaw Falls) recreational facility near Grayville called Edgewater Park around May of 1895.  It was on the Indiana bank of the Wabash River, just north of the railroad.  It was a summer time park, that reportedly drew two to three thousand visitors a week soon after its opening.  It was abandoned in 1903 and the buildings were torn down. 
 Photos:  Wabash River Bridge
 Date Reached:  1881 - constructed by E&P
 Track Status:  The track was removed in 1999. 
 RR Facilities:

 Boat Float and House  - (listed here in 1896)

 Bath House and Float (16' x 5') - (listed here in 1895)

 Two Cottages (26' x 14') - (listed here in 1895)

 Dancing Pavilion on barge (60' x 24') - (listed here in 1895)

 Ice House (8' x 8') - (listed here in 1895)

 Landing platform (255' x 10') - (listed here in 1895)

 Open Pavilion (50' x 24')  - (listed here in 1895)

 Four Outbuildings (12' x 5') - (listed here in 1895)

 On the end of the barge, a Store Room for 11 boats  - (listed here in 1895)

 Watchman's House - for the bridge - (listed here in 1928, 1944, 1948, and 1957)

 Customers:  
 Last Updated:  03/30/2016

 

Back to the Stations page