The Peoria, Decatur & Evansville Railway

 Name:  Delavan, Illinois(elevation 609') - Telegraph: DO
 Mile Post:  26.2
 Previous Station:  Horton
 Next Station:  Emden
 Description:  Named after Cornelius Delavan, the town was founded in 1836.  In 1857, the forerunner of the Chicago and Alton, later GM&O, was laid through town.  The PL&D arrived here in 1870, building a standard depot on the Southeast corner of Elm and Seventh streets.  Circa 1873, there were two sidings in front of the depot.  The first Board of Directors meeting of the PL&D was required to be in Delavan.
 Photos:  Right of Way  Structures  Train Order
 Date Reached:  October 1870
 Track Status:  Still in place - .
 RR Facilities:

 Coal House (12' x 9') - built 1896 - (listed here in 1916, 1957, 1970, 1978, and 1987 (!!!) but not in 1944)

 Wood Depot (40' x 24') - built 1870 - (listed here in 1916)

 Wood Union Depot - which at one time also housed the interlocker - 20 working levers - (listed here in 1944, 1948, 1957, 1970, and 1978)

 Hand Car House (14' x 8' x 7') - built 1886 - half car body - (listed here in 1916)

 Automatic Interlocking - (listed here in 1957, 1970, and 1978) 

 Interlocking Tower - 20 working levers (1944 & 1948)

 GM&O JCT - Removed by 1987

 Six Livestock Pens - (sides of 40' x 123' x 138' x 163') overall - shed of (100' x 14') - (listed here in 1900)

 Six Livestock Pens - (40' x 32') each - (listed here in 1916)

 Livestock Scale - (listed here in 1900)

 Siding - with clearance 915' - (listed here in 1944 and 1948)

 Siding - (listed here in 1957, 1970, 1978, and 1987)

 Four Spurs - (listed here in 1944 and 1948)

 Three Spurs - (listed here in 1957, 1970, and 1978)

 Two Spurs - one for for M.A. Bottenberg unloading platform and one for Haycock Soil Service - (listed here in 1978 and 1987)

 Tool House - (listed here in 1944, 1948,1957, and 1970)

 Unloading Platform - (listed here in 1944, 1957, 1970, 1978, and 1987)

 Customers:

 Continental Oil Company - later Haycock Soil Service - Shown here in 1970

 Haycock Soil Service - Shown here in 1978 and 1987

 M.A. Bottenberg? - Shown here in 1987

 Taloma Farmers Grain

 Track Names:

 Back Track - removed by January 14th, 1955

 Elevator Track - mentioned here in 1954

 Passing Track - mentioned here in 1955

 Last Updated  08/21/2014

 

Back to the Stations page