The Peoria, Decatur & Evansville Railway

 Name:  Decatur or WABIC, Illinois(elevation 670') - Telegraph: DZ
 Mile Post:  77.1
 Previous Station:  North Jct
 Next Station:  South Jct
 Description:  Decatur proper was actually on the Illinois Central's Charter line between Branch Jct (Centralia) and Galena.  Also known as WABIC, shorthand for where the Wabash crossed the Illinois Central.  There was a famous interlocking tower here known as WABIC tower.  As late as 1944 there was still a small yard that use to be the PD&E's yard to the west of the IC and south of Marietta St.  Included in the yard was a combination passenger freight depot built by the PD&E.  The PL&D reached the IC line at Decatur (at North Jct) in 1871.  The DS&M reached the IC line south of Decatur (at Decatur Jct) in 1872. 
 Photos:  Right of Way  Structures  Trains
 Date Reached:  Trackage rights over the IC
 Track Status:  Still in place -  
 RR Facilities:

 Coaling Facilities - electric elevators - (listed here in 1944 and 1948)

 Union Depot(1st) (IC)

 Stone Depot(2nd) (IC) - (listed here in 1944, 1948 and 1957) - gone by 1970

 Passenger/Freight Depot (PD&E) (102' x 16' overall - 32' x 16 two story brick & 70' x 16' one story wood) - (listed here in 1915)

 Freight Depot (IC) - (listed here in 1944 and 1948)

 Two Story Interlocking Tower(1st)

 Two Story Interlocking Tower(2nd)

 Wabash JCT

 Section House - 8 rooms - built 1872 - (listed here in 1944 and 1948)

 Numerous Sidings and Spurs

 Water Column - (listed here in 1944 and 1948)

 Water Tank- (listed here in 1944 and 1948)

 Old PD&E Yard - (listed here in 1944, 1948, and 1957)

 Yard Limits - (listed here in 1944, 1948, 1957, 1970, 1978, and 1987)

 Customers:  Decatur Newspaper
 Last Updated:  09/22/2014

 

Back to the Stations page