The Peoria, Decatur & Evansville Railway

 Name:  Chestervale, Illinois(elevation 615')
 Mile Post:  49.0
 Previous Station:  District Jct
 Next Station:  Mt. Pulaski
 Description:  Chestervale’s main purpose was always agriculture.  In 2006 it still had a grain elevator with the siding still in.  The level ground to the south for a mile was also an excellent place to put a passing siding, shown which was placed into service on August 25th, 1923 and shown here as late as at least 1944.
 Photos:  Right of Way
 Date Reached:  By August, 1871
 Track Status:  Still in place - .
 RR Facilities:

 Wood Depot (35' x 8'9") - placed 1909 - former car body - (listed here in 1916)

 Two Livestock Pens (72' x 32') overall - built prior to 1900 - (listed here in 1916)

 Platform - listed here in 1897

 Siding - with clearance of 2874' (1944) - (cut back to just the town by 1948) - (listed here in 1948, 1957, 1970, 1978, and 1987) - the last of the siding was removed in late Summer of 2008 - see ROW for photos of the removal.

 Telephone Booth - (listed here in 1957)

 Customers:

 Holmes & Maurer Grain Company  (2 elevators) - circa 1918

 Chestervale Farmers Grain Company (2 elevators) - 1918 and later

 Chestervale Elevator

 Last Updated:  03/18/2017

 

Back to the Stations page