The Peoria, Decatur & Evansville Railway

 Name:  Browns, Illinois(elevation 402') - Telegraph: BN
 Mile Post:  205.1
 Previous Station:  Bone Gap
 Next Station:  Siegert
 Description:  There was once a significant joint depot with the Southern Railway located at Browns.  Probably the largest on the PD&E between Mattoon and Evansville.  In an interesting aside, in 1892 John Goodbourn granted a triangular piece of land to the west of the tracks and starting at a point opposite of what in 2012 is road CR-12.  He made it very clear that he was to be in control of the turntable.  Which may explain the removal of it to Evansville in 1894. 
 Photos:  Right of Way  Structures
 Date Reached:  1881
 Track Status:  Part of the track to the south of Browns is still in place. 
 RR Facilities:

 Coal House (10' x 8' x 8') - built 1901 - (listed here in 1916)
 Wood Union Depot (52' x 18' x 14') - built 1880
 Wood Union Depot (64' x 18' x 14') - enlarged 1906 - (listed here in 1916, 1928, 1944, 1948, and 1957)
 Wood Union Depot Store Room Annex (8' x 6' x 8') added by 1908
 L-Shaped Wood Union Depot (64' x 18') and (26' x 22') plus Record Room (8' x 4'6") - (listed here in 1916)
 Hand Car House (14'6" x 8'6") - half car body - placed here 1894 - (listed here in 1916)

 Automatic Interlocking - (listed here in 1957, 1970, 1978, and 1987)

 Southern Railway JCT

 Livestock Pen - (listed here in 1928) - at diamond

 Livestock Pen - (listed here in 1928) - on siding of interchange track - shown but not labeled in 1944

 Three Livestock Pens measuring overall (93' x 60'l) - (listed here in 1900)
 Two Livestock Pens each (48' x 34') - built 1916? - (listed here in 1916)
 Section Supply House (18' x 14' x 8') - placed here 1894, half car body? - (listed here in 1916)
 Section Tool House (14' x 12') - built 1894 - (listed here in 1916)

 Two Sidings - one on the interchange track the other west of the main south of the diamond with a longest with clearance of 3875' - (listed here in 1928)

 Two Sidings - one on the interchange track the other west of the main south of the diamond with a longest with clearance of 84 cars' - (listed here in 1944 & 1948)

 Two Sidings - one on the interchange track the other west of the main south of the diamond with a longest with clearance of 9348' 201 cars - (listed here in 1957(

 Two Sidings - one on the interchange track the other west of the main south of the diamond with a longest with clearance of 8804 176 cars - (listed here in 1970, 1978, and 1987)

 Spur - west side, northbound pickup - for Chemical Fertilizer Service - (listed here in 1970, 1978, and 1987)

 Telephone Booth - south end of the siding - (listed here in 1970)

 Tool House - (listed here in 1928, 1944, and 1948)

 Turntable - (listed as being removed to Evansville in 1894)

 Water Column - (listed here in 1928) 

 Wood Water Tank (12 x 10 tub on 12 frame) - 7,500 gallon capacity - built 1894 - (listed here in 1916)
 Wood Water Tank (30 x 20 tub on 20 frame) - 98,720 gallon capacity - built 1913 - (listed here in 1916)
 Water Tank - (30' x 20') - 100,000 gallon capacity - built 1913 - (listed here in 1928) 

 Yard Limits - (listed here in 1944, 1948, 1957, 1970, 1978, and 1987)

 Customers:  Custom Farm - later Chemical Fertilizer Service Company - Shown here in 1970, 1978, and 1987
 Track Names:

 Back Wye Track - the small wye - used for interchange with the Southern Railway - cars going to the Southern - mentioned here in 1948, & 1955

 Main Wye Interchange Track - used for interchange with the Southern Railway - cars coming from the Southern- mentioned here in 1948, & extended east in1955

 Last Updated:  03/30/2016

 

Back to the Stations page