The Peoria, Decatur & Evansville Railway

 Name:  Taylors, Nelson, or Allenville, Illinois(elevation 650') - Telegraph: A
 Mile Post:  109.6
 Previous Station:  Martins Stub
 Next Station:  Steel
 Description:  Certainly this area needs more research.  Supposedly in 1875, Nelson was the predecessor of Allenville.  However, a 1880 timetable lists Nelson at MP 108.1, but Taylor at MP 109.6.  A timetable later that year removes the station point of Taylor, but lists Nelson at MP 109.8.  However, mile posts do seemed to have fluctuated early on, and maybe Taylor was actually another station point further south of Allenville....  The agency at Allenville was closed on September 7th, 1948 with waybills being handled by Sullivan.  On July 12, 1938, a tornado hit a train near here.  On the morning of October 25th, 1952, there was a rear end collision that blocked the main until the next morning.
 Photos:  Right of Way  Wrecks
 Date Reached:  1872
 Track Status:  Still in place - .
 RR Facilities:

 Coal House (9' x 7' x 8') - built 1909 - (listed here in 1916)

 Wood Depot (36' x 18' x 14') - built in 1880 - roof damage by fire 1904 - (listed here in 1944, 1948, and 1957)

 Hand Car House (12' x 10' x 8') - built 1894 - destroyed by fire 07-07-1911

 Hand Car House (18' x 8') - placed here 1912 - half car body - (listed here in 1916)

 Two Livestock Pens (78' x 40') overall - (listed here in 1900)

 Two Livestock Pens (40' x 32') each - (listed here in 1916)

 Livestock Scale - (listed here in 1900)

 Siding - (listed here in 1944, 1948, 1957, 1970, and 1978)

 Spur - northbound pickup - (listed here in 1987)

 Telephone Booth - (listed here in 1957 and 1970)

 Tool House - (listed here in 1944, 1948, and 1957)

 Customers:  Elevator - Shown here 1916
 Last Updated:  08/31/2014

 

Back to the Stations page