The Peoria, Decatur & Evansville Railway

Right of Way Photos

Looking West, the building at right is the highly remodeled PD&E depot.  You can still see where tracks go underneath the pavement on 21st Street.  The line to Peoria is just to the left of the still standing telegraph poles.  The microwave tower seen just above the piles of sand was the location of the roundhouse located at The Shops.

 

Looking East across 21st Street, this is probably pretty close to where the original PD&E tracks were before the subway was built around 1914.

 

This is a photo looking West at the line going towards The Shops in 2004.  This was at one time the South leg of the West wye.  Only the south ends of both wyes are still in place today.  The station point has been moved about 50 yards East.

 

This is a Southeasterly looking view towards the yards in Mattoon.

 

This is a photo looking West at the line going into the yards in 2003.  After the cut, which starts just to the right of this photo, was put in in 1914, an East and West wye were put in to connect the legs of the PD&E with the IC main line going to Chicago and New Orleans.  This was at one time the South leg of the East wye.  Only the south ends of both wyes are still in place today.

 

This is East facing photo is of the line heading out towards Jones'.

 

Back to Mattoon