The Peoria, Decatur & Evansville Railway
Red text indicates information added: 03/30/2016
Names of railroads have an abbreviation after they are first mentioned, and these abbreviations are used in place of the name afterward. If you need to recall what the abbreviation stands for, move your mouse pointer over the abbreviation and hold it there.
In 1857, a charter was granted for a Grayville, IL to Mattoon railroad, the Grayville and Mattoon Railroad (G&M), and was incorporated in 1876. There was also an Indiana charter for an Indiana road (From Mount Vernon to Grayville (originally "McFadden's Landing", IN) under the name of Mt. Vernon and Grayville Railroad (MtV&G). Up to 1876 nothing was accomplished on these lines.
On February 21st, the Pekin, Lincoln and Decatur Railroad (PL&D) was chartered, being "Vested with all the rights and privileges heretofore granted the Pekin, Canton and McComb Railroad (PC&M) and the Mississippi and Wabash Railroad (M&W)". The first Board of Directors meeting was required to be held in Delavan Illinois within 30 days.
The PL&D is organized.
On March 10th, a charter was granted for the Danville, Olney and Ohio River Railroad (DOOR) as a narrow gauge line.
On March 13th, the Harrisburg and Great Northern Railroad (H&GN) chartered.
Also around this time the PL&D was leased to the Toledo, Wabash and Western Railway (TW&W).
The Paris and Decatur Railroad (P&D) and the DS&M jointly built the line between Decatur Jct and Hervey City. From at least 1877(probably from the beginning), this segment was jointly owned by both roads, but the Paris and Decatur road controlled the movement over the line.
In January, the C&IS went into receivership.
The Decatur to Mattoon portion of the C&IS was sold under foreclosure and became the Decatur, Mattoon and Southern Railroad (DM&S).
The first DOOR locomotive, a Baldwin, arrived.
DOOR was put into service in June.
principle commodity carried by the
PL&D at this time is
On November 17th, the PL&D and the DM&S were consolidated as the Peoria, Decatur and Evansville Railway (PD&E). Note that the date of this consolidation seems to be different with each source. This varies from 1879 to 1880.
March10th, 1880, a line in
Indiana under the name of the Evansville and Peoria Railway (E&P)
On April 20th, 1880, the first standard gauge locomotive arrives on the DOOR.
On September 28th, the Peoria and Pekin Union Railway (P&PU) is incorporated.
May 27th, 1881, a line in Indiana under the name of the New Harmony and Evansville Railway (NH&E) was chartered.
By July 16th, 1881, the DOOR had been standard gauged.
The DOOR was changed to standard gauge.
The DOOR went into the hands of a receiver.
The DOOR was foreclosed upon in February.
In May, the DOOR was reorganized as the Chicago and Ohio River Railroad (C&OR).
The PD&E was put into receivership on January 10th, 1894.
In December, the PD&E sold its Chicago Division, the line from West Liberty to Sidell, along with trackage rights from West Liberty to Olney to the Indianapolis, Decatur and Western Railway (ID&W). The ID&W was a totally owned subsidiary of the Cincinnati, Hamilton and Dayton Railway (CH&D). Interestingly, once in Olney, the last few blocks (to Butler) were on its own rail on Camp Street.
On February 6th, the PD&E was put up for auction and the Illinois Central Railroad (IC) won the bid.
The CH&D enters receivership on December 20th, 1905.
The CH&D comes out of receivership.
On July 2nd, the CH&D enters receivership again.
In 1914 a subway (trench) was completed through part of Mattoon for the IC's line to Chicago. Interestingly, this duplicated physically what had been done on the corporate level in 1900. This made it impossible to go straight through Mattoon on the old PD&E.
The CI&W is sold on October 13th (beginning operation on December 1st), with the name being changed from railway to railroad.
On December 1st, the Sidell and Olney Railroad (S&O) was formed separately, being wholly owned by the CI&W.
On April 15th, the S&O is auctioned off.
Also in April, the Westfield Motor Railway Company (WMRC) is formed to operate the WRR which it began on June 2nd.
The Kansas and Sidell Railroad (K&S) was formed to take over the operation between those cities.
In July and August, the tracks of the C&K were removed.
In November, the YSL, which operated the portion of the line between Yale and Casey, was abandoned and the tracks taken up.
On December 6th, the C&K was formally dissolved.
The Louisville and Nashville Railroad (L&N) bough the line of the Chicago and Eastern Illinois Railroad (C&EI) from Evansville to Chicago. Much of the traffic on the old PD&E from Evansville to Mattoon was L&N traffic bound for Chicago. This dried up a significant portion of the traffic on this segment of the old PD&E, and would soon signal disaster for that part of the line.
IC merged with the Gulf, Mobile and Ohio Railroad becoming the Illinois Central Gulf Railroad (ICG).
By October 18th, the New Harmony branch was taken up.
On February 29th, the ICG changed its name to Illinois Central Railroad (IC).
The IHRC declared bankruptcy.
Owensville Terminal Company (OTC) financed the Evansville Terminal Company (ETC) to purchase the line from Browns to Evansville from the trustee of the IHRC.
On July 1st, the IC was merged into the Canadian National Railway (CN).
On the night of January 12th/13th, one of the spans of the bridge over the Wabash River was washed away by record floods.
On September 9th, Surface Transportation Board gave the Browns, Grayville and Poseyville Railway (BG&P) permission to acquire OTC's line from Browns and Poseyville, relay the track, and operate it. Nothing ever came of this however.